logo

Icon of Progress on the Plains

Cass County Courthouse, Fargo, N.D. 1890-1899

An image of the brick courthouse building is a view toward the northeast corner of the building. The jail is visible at the building’s rear. The building is three stories with a bell tower. [North Dakota State University Archives, Digital ID: rs000814]

The Cass County Courthouse, a far cry from the first courthouse building in 1877, exemplified the determination of the citizens of Fargo and the vast progress they made in less than two decades in often-harsh Northern Plains environment. Against many odds, buildings like the renovated courthouse provide additional testaments to the peoples’ determination and successful transformation of a vast prairie into a sovereign and flourishing city and county seat of eastern North Dakota.

-Stacy M. Reikowsky, Digital History 2012

Leave a Reply

*

captcha *